Friday, September 09, 2005

Americans Vs. Indians

US citizens devastated New Orleans more than the furious Katrina. The news of robbery, rape etc. shocked me. I was hard to believe that all this can happen in US. And to mention that I was not reading this news in any local newspaper, I was reading this entire in New York Times website. I was more shocked about the attitude of the people there than the law and order situation. Still there is no proper shelter for the people and food situation has not been tackled yet properly. I was seeing the photos of desolated Americans shouting at one army men for delay in food supply. In other photo there were people sitting outside some stadium and waiting for food. There was no proper shelter. I never saw Americans so deprived, helpless and desperate.

All this reminded of the Tsunami and recent Mumbai floods. Now I feel proud of the sportsmanship showed by the Indians to help there fellows. First of all there was no case of illegal activities and secondly people tried to organize things for themselves as much as possible. I still remember how various NGO’s rushed from Hyderabad when Tsunami struck. And in Mumbai, those who could, organized “langars” and distributed breads.

We always used to think Americans as well off, mighty and high cultured people. What is this culture where you rape someone or rob a person when a disaster struck your city just to get the gain of lawlessness and disorder? Indian USphiles are sure to ridicule me on this but I think that God only help them if they are still affected by that ‘US cataract’. I think we Indians are better than them in humane behavior. Whatever may be the economic condition of our country but we care for others even when we are in need.

1 Comments:

Blogger diver said...

Its the indian culture man! that is precious than most other countries...Having a strong economy is not the only thing.

Mon Sept 12, 03:52:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home